Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cops caught on tape slamming Georgia man into a wall as he moved into his new home

Video shows Georgia man roughed up by cops in front of his own home [WAGA-TV]

An Atlanta-area man filed a formal complaint against local authorities on Monday after video surfaced of an officer slamming him to the ground in front of his own home, WAGA-TV reported.
“I assumed — apparently incorrectly, and naively — that they were pursuing someone on foot that had fled through my yard, and I was unaware of it,” 69-year-old Dhoruba Bin-Wahad said at a press conference Monday afternoon. “I thought that that’s why they had their guns drawn.”
The May 2 encounter began when Clayton County police were called to Bin-Wahad’s residence by a neighbor who reported seeing a “suspicious” male on the vacant property. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that another witness thought Bin-Wahad was a “pervert trying to look at her or her children from the vacant location through the woods.”
According to a police report of the incident, officers described Bin-Wahad’s behavior as “uncooperative and verbally argumentative.” He was accused of taking “a bladed stance with his right side of his body” and allegedly refused to sit down when ordered to do so by them.
“When I came out of the house, the first thing I said was that ‘I’m moving in. I have the key,’” Bin-Wahad said on Monday. “They asked me why was my car in the back. I said, ‘It’s my house. I was loading boxes.’”
The footage, which does not contain audio, shows Bin-Wahad eventually sitting down and making no aggressive motions toward the officers before being grabbed by the arm, dragged to the ground and handcuffed. The police report indicates that Bin-Wahad’s head and left shoulder hit a brick wall. The video eventually showed officials leave the scene without arresting Bin-Wahad.
“The way they treated me, I think, is indicative of how the police behave in the poor and Black communities,” Bin-Wahad said on Monday.
Watch WAGA’s report on the encounter, as aired on Monday, below.

Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

No comments:

Post a Comment