Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Man in custody after two unattended backpacks found at Boston Marathon's finish line

BOSTON, Mass. -- A man was taken into custody Tuesday evening in connection to two unattended backpacks found at the Boston Marathon's finish line.
Boston Police Department spokesman Dave Estrada says the backpacks were discovered before 8 p.m., a year after two bombs in backpacks exploded at the end of the marathon and killed three people.
The city's bomb squad is still investigating the backpacks. The bags were destroyed in controlled detonations just before 9 p.m.
The police department is tweeting information about the situation.
Officials issued a public safety alert, asking pedestrians and motorists to avoid the area in and around the finish line.

Officers also tweeted: "For officer safety - media outlets are discouraged from showing any live video of backpacks found near Finish Line."
According to ABC News, police said the bags were left in the area of Boylston St. and Exeter St., and the road was closed.
A Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority official told ABC after the discovery, Green Line trains are not stopping at Copley Station.
Survivors, first responders and relatives of those killed in last year's Boston Marathon bombing marked the anniversary Tuesday with tributes. Former Mayor Thomas Menino spoke at the nearby Hynes Convention Center.
WCPO will update this story when more information becomes available.


No comments:

Post a Comment