Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mother Tries To Help Sick Child At School, Gets Arrested



Niakea Williams, a Missouri mother of a son with Asperger’s syndrome, is outraged after she was arrested for trying to help her special needs son at school.
Williams received a call from the school notifying her that her son was having a medical episode. “I was lying in bed when I received a frantic phone call from the teacher, Michael was panicking,” said Williams.  She rushed to the school where school officials buzzed her into the building.
“I saw a teacher and she said Ms. Williams what is wrong? I said something is wrong with Mikey and proceeded to go straight to my son,” Williams told KMOV.
Williams then proceeded to help her child, calming him down from his episode. Then things took a turn for the worse.
The principal entered the classroom and informed Williams that she had violated the school policy by not signing the guestbook. Indeed, Williams was in a rush to help her child and did not sign the guestbook, so she told the principal that she was willing to sign the guestbook. But that didn’t satisfy the principal.
“I didn’t sign the book, but I had to check on my son. You can bring me the book, she said oh no, I’ve already called the police. You called what,” said Williams.  The school was then put in lockdown for 12 minutes.
Police arrived and told Williams that she had not be authorized to enter the building, even though she was let in by school officials. The officers then arrested her and brought her to the Calverton Park Police station.
 “Four officers told me to turn around and put my hands behind my back, I was under arrest.” Williams said. “I feel like today I got arrested for being a concerned parent of my child.”
The school has also sent home a letter to all the parents explaining what happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment